The La Quinta Museum, located near La Quinta’s Old Town, features artifacts and specimens from La Quinta’s history. The museum underwent a $2.5m expansion which reopened in May 2008. M.W. Steele Group provided architecture services that included design through construction administration. The original museum consisted of a 1920’s era 1-story, 953 sf Spanish style
structure. This structure connects to the new La Quinta Museum through a private landscaped courtyard with custom tile and paving patterns.
The new Museum structure compliments the existing structure with its Spanish design. It features heavy timber trusses, a rotunda, a courtyard fountain, and balconies overlooking the courtyard and adjacent park. Additional details include meeting spaces, presentation rooms, archive areas, classrooms, museum store, and display areas. It also included refurbished stain-glass windows from the Desert Club, a resort popular in the 1940’s and 1950’s, and other preserved artifacts such as wrought iron gates and decorative light fixtures.
Of special note: renowned mural artist Andre Blanché has been commissioned to provide a 32' wide mural in the main meeting room that will depict the history of the area from when the Cahuilla Indians occupied the land through the development of today’s golf-course resorts.