MW Steele Group was commissioned to design a major expansion to the existing central library for the City of Coronado. The project also included an extensive renovation of the historic 1909 original library building and its 1974 addition.
The result is a 15,500 SF expansion and a complete functional reorganization of the existing 21,500 SF building complex. This includes provisions for new computer systems and work stations, an expanded children’s library, enlarged staff and technical service functions, and a completely new general collection and reading area.
Of special note: the project included the restoration and installation of two historical murals painted by famous Mexican artist Alfredo Ramos Martinez in the late 1930’s. El Dia del Mercado is displayed in the new lobby above the circulation desk, and Canasta de Flores hangs in the principle seating area.