Michael, recently promoted to Associate Senior Manager, is a proven addition to the well-balanced and talented leadership of founder Mark Steele and the firm's principals Steve Miles and Diego Velasco. Read on to learn a little about Michael and his affinity for anything mid century modern.
Most challenging issue on project:
Renovating and enlarging the cottages, which reside within a beautifully landscaped 35 acre campus, without detracting from the history and spirit that the campus evokes.
What inspires me about this project:
Wesley Palms was built in the mid-century modern aesthetic and the fact we are preserving and enhancing that style, which I have a deep affinity for, inspires me.
Favorite qualities in an architect:
Adaptability and problem solving. At its root architecture is about solving problems in an artful way.
If I could have designed any building in the world, it would be:
Case Study House #22
If I could solve one challenge in the field of architecture or planning, it would be:
The overall cost to build. The profession needs to figure out a way to build affordably without sacrificing quality.
Three designers I admire:
Classical: Filippo Brunelleschi
20th Century: Charles and Ray Eames
I am eternally delighted by:
My Wife and Children
My favorite painter/visual artist:
My favorite author & poet:
F. Scott Fitzgerald
Top three songs on my playlist:
1) Of Monsters and Men: “Little Talks”
2) Matt & Kim “Daylight”
3) The Smiths entire discography
Three things I cannot live without:
iPhone (unfortunately), coffee, small Moleskine sketchbook and pencil
If not myself, I would be:
The Design List:
1) Personal Accessory - iPhone case by Carved
2) (Wesley Palms Inspiration) Book - Eames: Beautiful Details
3) Architectural product – Ecosene slim cove LED fixture (Wesley Palms)
4) (Wesley Palms Inspiration) For the Home - West Elm Peggy Mid-Century Sofa
5) Architectural product – 9wood ceilings (Wesley Palms Main Building Solariums)
To learn more about Michael, Click here.